Marine Transportation Efficiency
Did you know?
- One laker ship can carry as many as 225 rail cars of cargo at one time which makes them 175 times as fuel efficient as trains.
- Shipping via the Great Lakes alleviates traffic congestion and reduces road maintenance and repairs.
- Marine transportation emits fewer CO2 emissions than other modes of transportation.
- Marine transport accounts for 90% of cross-border trade but only uses 7% of energy consumed by transport activities.
- A cargo of 1,000 tons transported by a Great Lakes carrier produces 90 per cent less CO2 as compared to the same cargo transported by truck and 70 per cent less than the same cargo transported by rail.
Source: USDOT Maritime Administration and Minnesota Department of Transportation